Roulette is quite possibly the oldest casino games and it remains one of the most popular. It is believed to have been invented in 1655 by Blaise Pascal, a French scientist, mathematician and inventor. He was on a monastic retreat when he did so. It was first played in France. This is where the game derives its French name ‘Roulette’ which means small wheel. It first appeared in Canada around 1758 and online roulette made an entry into Canadian online casinos around 2002.
When playing on an online roulette table, you have the option of making an inside bet or an outside bet. Outside bets enable players to bet on colors, odds or events or groups of numbers. There are six types of outside bets and they include 1-18, 19-36, Red or Black, Even or Odd, Dozen bets and Column bets. Inside bets are the opposite and a player can bet on individual numbers. There are also six types of these bets including Straight Up, Street, Split, Corner, Six Line and Trio.
The Roulette Wheel
The Roulette Wheel divided into 38 red and black sections. As this wheel goes round, a ball rolls on the wheel until the ball stops in one of the divisions.
The roulette wheel has variations, though the most common is the American wheel. This wheel will have 00 as an option. There are a total of 38 pockets which are black and red, with the 0 and 00 being green. The layout is as follows:
0, 28, 9, 26, 30, 11, 7, 20, 32, 17, 5, 22, 34, 15, 3, 24, 36, 13, 1, 00, 27, 10, 25, 29, 12, 8, 19, 31, 18, 6, 21, 33, 16, 4, 23, 35, 14, 2
Types of Bets
Placing a bet is one of the most exciting aspects of this game. Once a bet has been placed, the wheel is spun and the ball is put into play. Here are the types of bets one can make:
- Color Bets– These are also known as red or black bets. You bet that the ball will land on a red or black number.
- High / Low Bet – This is a bet that plays on the numbers. A high bet will be between 19 and 36 and a low bet is between 1 and 18.
- Even Odd – With this bet, you select and even or odd number for the ball to land on.
- Dozen Bet – This bet covers a dozen numbers in order, so it is the ball landing between 1-12, 13-24 or 25-36.
- Column Bet – These bets are on three columns of numbers and one can predict which one to include on the next spin.
- Line Bet – Make a bet covering 2 rows of three numbers. For example, 7-12, 31-36.
- 5 Bet – With this bet, you wager on a group of numbers such as 0, 00, 1, 2 and 3.
- Corner Bet – This bet looks at the result being a number within one of the three columns of 12 numbers. Column one covers the numbers 1, 4, 7, 10, 13, 16, 19, 22, 25, 28, 31, 34, Column 2 the numbers 2, 5, 8, 11, 14, 17, 20, 23, 26, 29, 32, 35 and Column 3 the numbers 3, 6, 9, 12, 15, 18, 21, 24, 27, 30, 33, 36.
- Street Bet – Bet on a number within a row of three, such as 1,2,3 or, 7,8,9 or 10, 11, 12 and so on.
- Split Bet – Place a bet on a line separating two numbers allowing you to split the bet between them.
- Straight Up – Select a number for your bet and if the ball lands there then you will win.
- 0 or 00 – This bet has an excellent payout as it gives the house the edge.
How to Play Online Roulette
Online Roulette starts when you place a wager on the table layout. Press the spin button to start the game. When the wheels stop spinning the game is over and a winner is declared.
When choosing to play online roulette, you should be aware of the roulette variations so that you can choose an option that will help you achieve brilliant wins. Here are the three main options you can choose from: –
This version of roulette features 00’s. This adds one more number to the game and has the effect of increasing the house edge up to 5.4%. Most Canadian online casinos feature this game.
you will find Europen Roulette in almost every online casino due to its popularity. It has a single zero option and compared to the American roulette table has a lower house edge of 2.5%.
French roulette is possibly the best version of roulette for players, it is almost the same as European Roulette with a few different rules.
The most notable rule change is that there is a chance to have your money returned on a losing bet. This happens when you make an outside bet then the balls land in the green slot. Then, you will have half of your bets returned to you in a move known as La Partage. It is worth noting this will apply only on condition that the ball lands in the zero slot.
In French roulette the wheel is in the centre of the table, not at the end of the table like other variations. Another simple way to distinguish between French Roulette and European Roulette is to look at the language, if its in French, its a French Roulette table.
Strategies and Tactics for Betting
When you choose to play online roulette, you need to have a strategy to raise your chances of winning. There are numerous strategies that you can use to win big so that you can tip the house edges to your own favor.
It is worth noting that no matter which system you choose to use, the odds are not in your favor. Even if you have a winning streak you are likely to have many losses as well. These losses will most likely eat into any winnings that you had.
The winning strategy preferred by most roulette players is to make smaller bets on each hand rather than large ones. This is so that they are able to play spins which equils more chances to win. Playing more hands is highly strategic and quite possibly the most straightforward way you can win more money. Here are some systems that you can try:
This is the most popular online roulette strategy that works. This system is best for outside betting. The maximum odds of winning are close to 50%, meaning that you can win back exactly what you bet. Players normally keep doubling their bets with this system until they win.
This system in some ways works backwards, the player starts by deciding how much they want to win. Then, the sum of positive numbers that add to the amount wanted is listed. The sum of the first 2 numbers determines how much you bet. If the number is one, the bet is then based on that.
This system is relatively low risk, you will increase their bet after each loss. The problem with this system is that many times your wins will not be enough to cover your loses. It is lower risk because the bets increase slower than the other systems.
Best Roulette Casinos
Below is our pick for the best casinos to play roulette for 2017. Good Luck!